Tuesday, November 10, 2015
Attendees: Jim Shanman, Wayne Howard, Eric Bruins, Craig Tabita, David Fuer, Eric Weinstein, Julie Mendel
Next meeting: Tuesday, December 8, 2015, 6:30-8pm, Location TBD.
1. Advocacy Opportunity: Community Development Block Grant Public Meeting, 11/12. Wayne suggested we consider sending a representative to a public meeting on Nov 12 to discuss potential uses for 2016/2017 Community Development Block Grant funds. After some discussion, members present agreed that it is likely these funds — which come from the Department of Housing and Urban Development — have already been allocated to projects in Culver City. However, we also agreed that attending the meeting and introducing ourselves is a good first step in building stronger relationships with the City. The meeting is Thursday, November 12 at 6pm at City Hall, and Wayne plans to attend.
2. Name Change. Wayne suggested we consider changing our name from Culver City Bicycle Coalition to Bike Culver City to more coherently brand ourselves. After a lively discussion, members present agreed that any rebranding efforts should only come after and as a result of larger, more inclusive conversations about our mission and priorities as a coalition. We hope to tackle some of these larger issues at our next meeting, so please stay in touch via email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or attend our next meeting on December 8 to join the conversation.
3. Outreach Opportunities.
– Culver City Farmer’s Market. Culver City reserves a table at the Tuesday Farmer’s Market for nonprofit outreach. Julie has reached out to the coordinator and will keep the group posted on how we can reserve a date and what dates are available. Once we hear back about a date, we’ll discuss how to staff and what fun things we might want to offer (i.e., basic bike tune-up services). The Farmer’s Market is every Tuesday from 2pm to 7pm on Main Street, between Culver Blvd and Venice.
– Operation Firefly. Members present agreed to investigate getting an Operation Firefly distribution together. The key is to find a sponsor for the distribution who can contribute $1,000. Jim suggested reaching out to the Culver City Downtown Business Association as a potential sponsor. Wayne will reach out to the association to gauge their interest.
– KPFK Bike Talk radio show. LACBC and KPFK’s Bike Talk show invite chapters once a month to prerecord a conversation about any relevant topics we choose. To check out previous episodes of Bike Talk, see their page here — and let us know if you have any ideas for a show.
– Untapped areas of Culver City. Inspired by conversations about equity at the Cal Bike Summit, Wayne proposed we consider more intentionally reaching out to areas that have not traditionally participated in CCBC activities, like the Fox Hills area of Culver City. Members present agreed to explore how we can better serve this community further, potentially by sending a representative to the Fox Hills Neighborhood Association.
4. Upcoming Events.
– Potential December events. Members present discussed organizing a bike valet at Culver City’s Annual Tree Lighting Event on Thursday, December 3rd and/or a group ride/toy drive partnership in Culver City in mid-December. If you’re interested in helping plan one of these events, email us at email@example.com. Volunteers always welcome.
– CCBC Holiday Potluck. Wayne and Julie would also like to plan a coalition potluck to celebrate the holiday season and are tentatively planning on something after our next meeting on Tuesday, December 8. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have (location or other) ideas.
– Expo Phase II opening (Spring/Summer 2016). Wayne suggested partnering with SM Spoke and organizing some kind of event or group ride around the much-anticipated opening of Expo Phase II. Eric W. suggested creating wayfinding signs for the bike path, as not all sections of the path will be completed by the Phase II launch. Though the launch is a few months away, we’d like to start planning soon, so email us if you’re interested in helping out.
– Other Events:
Saturday, November 28: Make It Mar Vista Ride & Small Business Event, 10am-2pm, Mar Vista (Venice & Beethoven). To volunteer with LACBC (set-up, tabling, and breakdown), sign up here.
Our next meeting (and holiday potluck!) is Tuesday, December 8, from 6:30-8pm. Wayne will circulate a location and agenda closer to the meeting. A happy Thanksgiving to all!